Sunday, October 2, 2016

Review: The Pumpkin Blanket by Deborah Turney Zagwyn




Summary:
Sparkling with rich autumn watercolors and magical detail, this book introduces little Clee and her blanket, a true and trusted friend. But when her father's shivering pumpkin patch needs help to survive the frost, Clee understands that it needs her blanket more than she does.

My review:
This is the story of a little girl who gives up her most loved possession, her blanket, that she has had since she was first born. I was a bit saddened by this book.   It seemed odd to me that the blanket is what saves the pumpkins but they were not to eat but for decorations.

Also, was the story meant to be a sharing story? A growing up story? I was a bit confused on what the aim of the book was for. I am sure children would think it was a story of sharing but then again, I do not know.

The book ended rather abruptly for me too. I thought there should be more. The last page featured the little girl looking out her door and all the pumpkins that had now been carved. She is holding just a shred of her loved blanket. Again, sad.

A real plus for this book was the illustrations. They were all in fall colors of oranges, yellows, browns, and some reds. The pictures were large and cute. The overall feel of the illustrations matched the book.

Although the story did end abruptly, it was written in mind of an emergent reader. The writing was boxed off by itself and only a couple of sentence but still large to see and understand the story.

Over all, this book was ok for me and for that reason, I give it 3 stars.



No comments: