Friday, January 15, 2016

Review: Stone Soup by Jon J. Muth #Multicultural



Summary:

Three strangers, hungry and tired, pass through a war-torn village. Embittered and suspicious from the war, the people hide their food and close their windows tight. That is, until the clever strangers suggest making a soup from stones. Intrigued by the idea, everyone brings what they have until-- together, they have made a feast fit for a king!

My review:
This is a tale I have read and heard in other forms. This story is all about learning to take care of others and being happy in what you have and can give. I have used a similar story in classroom setting with each child bringing their own thing to make classroom stone soup.

As unlikely as it would seem, I liked this different twist with the people being monks that frighten the villagers. It is the bravery of a young child that teaches the rest of the village along with the monks how to work together. Does this not make sense as so often that is exactly what children will do.

I enjoyed the somewhat muted colors and the Asian flair that was brought to the book. The expressions on the villagers faces were priceless to me. The huge over-the-top pot that the stone soup was made in was humorous.

Overall, a great book that should be read in all classrooms and maybe read to adults who could take a few notes from the tale.

5 stars.

Disclosure: I purchased this book for my own collections. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours. ~Naila Moon
Where to find the author:


No comments: