Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Review: How Big Is A Million? by Anna Milbourne/ Illustrated by Serena Riglietti #ScholasticBooks




Summary:
Pipkin the smallest penguin is always asking questions, but what he wants to know most of all is how big is a million? So he sets off to find out, and along the way meets a hundred penguins, sees a thousand snowflakes and meets one new friend before being amazed to finally find out how big a million really is.

My review:
Kids love to ask questions constantly. It is easy to ignore these questions but curiosity usually wins out. In this book, the little penguin is full of questions but his biggest is "how big is a million?" Which of course, leads the reader to the title of the book. His momma penguin allows him to explore the answer instead of giving him the answer. I liked that!

Along the way he discovers other things around his world and bigger numbers as he goes. He even finds an unlikely friend who is as curious as he. Eventually, he makes his way back home to discover his answer. Of course I will not divulge what that is but I found it to be simply perfect. I will say though that apparently, there are exactly 1 million but I did not count them. *wink*

This is a cute book to help children learn larger numbers and to discover things for themselves.
The Illustrators pictures were good but I felt did not necessarily add to the book. That could have been intentional though, as this was not the premise of the book to begin with.
4 stars.

This book can be found with the Scholastic books collections.

Disclosure: I purchased a copy of this book for my own collections. The views expressed here are 100% mine and may not reflect your own. ~Naila Moon

Where to find the author:
Amazon.

No comments: