Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: Schism:The Battle for Darracia (Book 1) by Michael Phillip Cash



Blurb:
On the planet Darracia, an ever-widening social gap between its inhabitants is causing turmoil that is fracturing a once peaceful world. Struggling with his identity, nineteen year old Prince V'sair must harness the power of the elusive Fireblade, the secret to a warrior's heart, in order to overcome his uncle Staf Nuen's lust for supremacy. Will the energy of the Elements guide the young prince to his true destiny or will Staf Nuen conquer Darracia? 

My Review:
I recently had the opportunity to read another book by Michael Phillip Cash. I have been rather enthralled with his thriller books and could not wait for his book Schism to come out. 

I was particularly interested in this book because I am somewhat of a Sci-fi buff.  Michael Cash had changed genres with this book to be Sci-fi so, my interest was peaked. A risky venture for Mr. Cash for sure, but I was not disappointed in the least.

The book tells of a world, Darracia that has three levels of distinct social order. The top ruling group literally lives in the clouds and rides great winged horses. They are warriors and use the power of the Fireblade, a multi-glowing sword, as their strength.

Prince V'sair is the next in line for the throne but is frustrated that his parents have not allowed him to have taken on the power of the Fireblade but have favored education instead. On a journey to a lower level of Darracia, with a servant girl, he finds the secrets to the Fireblade as well as love and the strength of family. Additionally, he finds out that not all things or people are what they seem and that working together may just be the key.

These ideals are what his father, the King, has tried to instill in him but he will only begin to learn these things when his Uncle, Staf Nuen, organizes a coup and tries to have him and the King killed. Through his new found identity, the Prince faces warfare and inner conflict.
-----------------
I of course cannot give the complete details of this first book in the series away. I can say that the book will keep you on the edge of your seat, only as Michael Phillip Cash can do.
I was happy that this book did not leave me hanging at the end to wait for the next book. I really hate that!
However, there is so much more to know about Darracia, the people, and if  Prince V'sair will be able to lead his people. That I will indeed have to wait until book two.

For now, I recommend you read this first book and be thrilled like I was. You will not be disappointed.

This gets a 4 out of 5 stars!
~Naila Moon

Disclosure: I downloaded this book on Kindle and received no compensation for this post.

No comments: