Monday, June 16, 2014

Review: Loved and Lost by Lory S. Kaufman


Summary:
This is the final book of The Verona Trilogy

A QUEST FOR LOST LOVE.

AN ADVENTURE OF MANY LIFETIMES.

Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln are three 24th-century time travelers desperate to return to 14th-century Verona and reclaim their medieval family’s shattered lives. It is a mission fraught with danger and the risk of unexpected consequences for themselves and their worlds. For all three, it is a matter of the heart. For one, though, it is truly the only thing that matters, as the fate of his eternal love and the life of their unborn child is the prize to be won – or lost forever.

In this, the final book of The Verona Trilogy, Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln go on the boldest adventure of their lives. They will face hardship, tragedy, and threats from sources they couldn't have imagined – all in an effort to wrestle a future from the steely grip of an unforgiving past.

My review:

As is noted in the summary this is the final book of the trilogy of which I read all.
I think I found this book to be the most daunting of the entire trilogy. As I mentioned with the last book's review, I was actually surprised there was to be a third book because of where the second ended.

I felt this book was very repetitive and mostly a recap of the first two books. I understood that the characters were trying to right the wrongs of the past by returning repeatedly to the past but that is what made the book daunting and to me, rather boring. I thought the author could have wrapped it up in book two.

However, if it was not for the fact I liked the characters and wanted to see what the end was for them, I probably would have stopped reading this book after the first couple of chapters.

This books underlying theme is persistence along with the main theme of love. I got that loud and clear as these characters persisted to save their 14th century loved ones.

In all fairness, I did like the way Lory Kaufman created his post-utopian society. In the back of this book he takes several pages to explain different details of the entire trilogy and how he came to decide different aspects.  His research of ancient Verona was impeccable. He even traveled to the area just to get real perspective. Impressive!

I look forward to reading some more single novels from this author.

For this book, I can only give 3 stars as the author did finish, as he does have the makings of great stories. and gave hope for the future generations.
~Naila Moon

Disclosure: I received this book for my open and honest review. The views expressed here are 100% my own and may differ from yours.

Where to find the author:

Lory S. Kaufman
Facebook
Amazon
Goodreads


No comments: